About This Project
Originally a Franciscan Missionary church built at the turn of the century in Austin Texas. The original church was comprised of the chapel, the alter and the vestibule. It served as a residence for the priests, sanctuary and church for the settling community. Small and modest, built of stone and wood – all materials that were gifted to the church. The stone donated from the Zilker ranch and the timbers from surplus of the Austin trolley car system.
The property, aside from having a good deal of deferred maintenance, lacked any modern conveniences or necessities; such as insulation or consistent water delivery. A textbook mess, reminiscent of an abandoned old world building – crumbling stone, dusty cielings, fragance of 100 year old frankinsense – incredibly located in the heart of beautiful Austin. The little church measured in at 1100 square feet. What resulted after 14 months of aggressive and inspired building transformed the property into 4200 square feet with a full basement, turret, and 3 en suite bedrooms. All appointed with fortification and elegance in mind. A castle emerged from the holy site.
All systems were updated; new trusses were placed over the roof to allow for insulation and a/c delivery. A 12 foot basement was excavated; a towering turret contains the pecan stairwell ascending 32 feet. Three ensuite bedrooms, a finished basement with a bathrrom and a gourmet kitchen.